Are you or is anyone you know trying to shed a few pounds? We all know that dieting takes a lot of willpower! Here´s a dialogue for C1 level students called I THINK I´LL PASS ON DESSERT. Some of the vocabulary here includes YUMMY – SHED A FEW POUNDS – GRUB – STUFFED – FIT – CATCH SOMEONE´S EYE – OVERWEIGHT – PICK UP THE TAB
I – Click the link below to listen to the dialogue “I think I´ll pass on dessert” and then do the activities that follow.
II – DIALOGUE COMPREHENSION: TRUE, FALSE OR I DON´T KNOW?
- Doug is trying to lose weight. True _____ False _____ I don´t know _____
- Todd offers to pay for lunch since Doug is out of money. True _____ False _____ I don´t know _____
- According to the dialogue Todd is a picky eater. True _____ False _____ I don´t know _____
- Todd is meeting a classmate after lunch. True _____ False _____ I don´t know _____
III – COMBINE THE TWO COLUMNS BELOW TO FIND OU THE MEANING OF WORDS AND EXPRESSIONS IN THE DIALOGUE “I THINK I´LL PASS ON DESSERT”.
- Yummy _____ a. Ready
- Shed a few pounds_____ b. Food
- Fit _____ c. Pay for something
- Work out _____ d. Full
- Kind of _____ e. In shape
- I´m headed _____ f. Lose weight
- Stuffed _____ g. Do physical exercise
- All set _____ h. Sort of; a little
- Catch someone´s eye _____ i. Delicious
- Grub _____ j. I´m going
- Joint _____ k. Get someone´s attention
- Pick up the tab _____ l. Place
IV – KEY TO EXERCISES
Dialogue comprehension – True, False or I don´t know?
- True 2. False 3. I don´t know 4. True
Combine the two columns below …
- i 2. f 3. e 4. g 5. h 6. j 7. d 8. a 9. k 10. b 11. l 12. c
V – DIALOGUE SCRIPT
I think I´ll pass on dessert
Todd: Do you want to have any dessert at all? Check out that apple pie, it looks yummy!
Doug: I think I´ll pass on dessert. I´m trying to shed a few pounds, you know, I´m overweight.
Todd: Really? You don´t look overweight. Actually, you look fit. Have you been working out or something?
Doug: Kind of. I mean, I´m not going to a gym regularly or anything, but I´ve been trying to do some physical exercise at home in the morning after I wake up.
Todd: Wow, I guess it takes a lot of willpower to do physical exercises early in the morning, doesn´t it?
Doug: It does in the beginning, but you gradually get used to it. So, where are you going after lunch?
Todd: I´m supposed to meet Sally at Bryant park, we´re going to the library to do some research for the American Literature assignment.
Doug: Right, maybe we could share a taxi, I´m headed that way too.
Todd: Great idea and we can talk some more on the way.
Todd: You know what? I think I´m actually stuffed, so I´ll just skip dessert as well.
Doug: Ok, so I think we´re all set to go, I mean, after we pay the bill of course! Let me try to catch our waitress´s eye. Waitress, please!
Waitress: Yes, sir, what can I get you?
Doug: Just the check, please!
Waitress: Sure, it´ll just be a minute.
Todd: Right! Did you like your sandwich?
Doug: Yep, it was tasty. The grub here is great. I often come to this burger joint.
Todd: Me too! Ok, there´s our waitress coming with the check. Let me pay for lunch today, you picked up the tab last time.
Doug: Thanks, Todd!
José Roberto A. Igreja is the author and co-author of several ELT books, including:
LET´S TALK ABOUT IT! – The Ultimate ELT Conversation Book / Available on UICLAP as well
A BRAND-NEW ELT BOOK!
Fluent Business English (with Robert C. Young)
English for Job Interviews (with Robert C. Young)
American Idioms! (with Joe Bailey Noble III)
600 Phrasal Verbs (with Jonathan T. Hogan)