So here it is, my new work. A book geared towards both the advanced student of English and teachers alike, for we teachers are eternal students as well. A book I wish I´d had some twenty years ago when I myself was striving to go beyond the basics and broaden my vocabulary. It would have helped me a great deal.
What can you expect from it? A bit of everything: dialogues, vocabulary, idioms, phrasal verbs, slang. A 360 degree approach to language, as a matter of fact, with content aimed at students that are making the transition from the upper-intermediate level towards the advanced/proficient level.
For this new book I have written 30 dialogues highlighting mainly informal language.
I regard dialogues as paramount to language acquisition. Dialogues are basically language in motion where everything comes up (grammar, idiomatic expressions, formal/informal vocabulary) in due context. Check out some of the titles below meant to deliberately peak your curiosity:
I think I´ll pass on dessert
Guess who I ran into at the mall the other day?
My Pilates class
What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas!
I know the odds are against me, but I´ll give it a shot anyway
A funny cabbie
Could you drop the jargon please?
You must have paid top dollar for those tickets!
The head honcho is going to flip out if he finds out what´s going on
Getting dumped sucks!
My WhatsApp group
I felt kind of weird all dressed up in a rented tux!
The dialogues presented along with the other sections of the book will hopefully linger on in the readers´ minds and help them hone their language skills in many ways. I´ve always thought that learning should be a fun process and I´ve made every possible effort to include content that is alluring enough to get readers to go the extra mile.
Among other benefits, I believe this book will help people …
• Incorporate new vocabulary into their speech in a fun and easy way.
• Boost their knowledge of idioms and phrasal verbs through a hands-on approach: not just by reading about it, but also by doing the carefully-planned activities provided in the book.
• Enhance their listening comprehension skills (the books includes an audio CD with dialogues and exercises recorded by native speakers of English)
• Interact in the language more effectively and naturally.
• Brush up on their knowledge of crucial areas of the language. (for the already advanced student)
In short, this new book will hopefully contribute to taking your English to the next level. Enjoy!
José Roberto A. Igreja has a BA in English and Literature from PUC/SP. He is the author and co-author of several ELT books, including: