Say it all in Brazilian Portuguese! is a practical and useful guide that will help you communicate during your business or leisure trip to Brazil. The contents of this guide were carefully selected and planned bearing in mind the communication needs of the English-speaking traveler and include:
- Checking in at the airport and going through customs
- On the plane: usual crew and passenger phrases
- Transport: getting a cab; renting a car; at the gas station
- Accommodation & Facilities
- Food and beverage
- Tourist attractions & Leisure and entertainment
- Going shopping
- Phone calls
- Health & Emergencies
Useful questions and phrases
Whether at the hotel, a store or in a restaurant, checking in at the airport or renting a car, you can rely on acredito que a preposição “on” não possa ser excluída aqui all the usual questions and phrases listed in this guide. You will also be able to listen and practice these useful phrases and questions with the CD included in the book.
Say it all in Brazilian Portuguese! also presents dialogues that portray typical situations for the traveler in Brazil. Some of these dialogues include:
- Checking in at the airport
- Renting a car
- Asking for directions
- Looking for a place to eat
- What places should we visit?
- At the shoe store
Vocabulary & Expressions in Use
This section presents usual words and expressions in context: an effective way of learning, reviewing and consolidating the useful expressions that will make your communication easier during your stay in Brazil. These words and expressions have been grouped in categories such as: at the airport; traveling by car; going shopping; leisure and entertainment; etc.
Say it all in Brazilian Portuguese! also features invaluable cultural tips for those who travel to Brazil, such as:
- Usual traffic signs in Brazil
- Celsius temperature scale (used in Brazil) and its equivalence to Fahrenheit temperature scale
- Currency: bills and coins used in Brazil
- Menus: typical Brazilian dishes and drinks
- Popular Brazilian festivals and parties, such as Carnaval and Festas Juninas
In order to guarantee effective communication in each particular situation you can also count on the theme glossaries inserted throughout the book. Some of the topics include: food and beverage; leisure and entertainment; stores and services and emergencies.
English-Portuguese and Portuguese-English glossary
Besides the theme glossaries that deal with specific situations, you will also find at the back of the book a general glossary. You will be able to look up words in both Portuguese and English.
Audio CD: Useful phrases and situational dialogues
The audio CD that accompanies the book is an invaluable tool that will enable you to practice and improve your listening comprehension of useful phrases and dialogues. Listening to the CD is also a great way of preparing previously for the situations you are likely to experience during your visit to Brazil.
Tenha uma boa estadia! (Have a nice stay!)
Say it all in Brazilian Portuguese! by José Roberto A. Igreja, Disal Editora.